THE CHILDREN’S COTTAGE SOCIETY OF CALGARY REQUIRES A FULL TIME KEY WORKER (FAMILY SUPPORT) FOR BRENDA’S HOUSE
The Children's Cottage Society of Calgary provides crisis nursery, community respite, and family support programs to more than 3,500 children each year. Brenda’s House is a residential program for homeless families that enables transition to housing using a “housing first” model of service. Brenda’s House has been in operation since February 2009, and provides shelter and support services to 14 families at a time. We are looking for an experienced professional with an empathic, non-judgmental view toward families with multiple needs. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting families while in residence and planning with families to assist them in their efforts toward becoming rehoused in the community as quickly as possible.
The Key Worker position is full time, and participates in a rotating schedule of morning and evening shifts Monday to Friday 7am – 3pm and 1pm – 9pm.
- Screen potential client families and support their transition into the shelter.
- Complete intakes and develop a service plan with families that will focus on their transition back into housing in the community.
- Interact with families in residence on a daily basis:
- Provide non-judgmental, family centered and strength based service;
- Coordinate staff team work with family members and focus on progress and action required to support transition plan;
- Provide families with assistance in housing search and progress towards goals
- Support families with their daily routine in shelter, and monitor the daily physical and emotional wellbeing of the family members;
- Maintain client files and HMIS data system entries;
- Act as a role model showing positive interaction and problem solving;
- Be present at all times in the day use areas to ensure that harmony is maintained between families, adults, and children.
- Ensure a healthy environment for children:
- Promote positive social interactions and help ensure child safety;
- Coordinate referrals to child care/respite;
- Be present at all times in the day use areas to ensure that children are receiving appropriate parental supervision and care;
- Support and coach parents in the care of their children while at Brenda’s House;
- Provide support and activities when needed outside of scheduled child care hours.
- Assist in the daily shelter routines to ensure a safe, clean and healthy shelter environment
- Collaborate with Brenda’s House Case Managers and Housing Locator in the development and updating of service plans, transition to housing strategies, and housing funding methods.
- Work collaboratively partnering agencies and community resources, and provide referrals as needed to community services.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with families who have complex needs
- Degree in human services (preferred), or diploma with related experience
- Experience working in a residential setting
- Experience working with homeless families is an asset
- Valid Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR level B
- Current Police Security and Child Intervention Record checks with satisfactory results
- Able to work day and evening shifts, and to flex hours from time to time
Please send a cover letter and resume quoting Competition #BHKW to: email@example.com
Application Deadline: Until successful candidate is recruited
We appreciate the interest of all applicants however will only contact those invited for an interview.