Family Coach–Full Time Position (1.0 FTE)
The Children's Cottage Society of Calgary provides crisis nursery, respite, and family support programs for vulnerable children. To achieve our vision of “Safe Children in Healthy Families” we are looking for experienced and professional individuals to support the Society’s in- home visitation needs.
- Assists with the admission and discharge process within the Crisis Nursery, completing Family Appraisals to determine which families would benefit from ongoing support with a CCS Family Coach and referring families to community resources when appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains a trusting relationship with families by providing regular contact through home visits. Establishes and maintains relationships with parents who may be facing multiple challenges.
- Uses observation skills to identify family concerns and implements effective interventions. Maintains knowledge of substance abuse and domestic violence and their effect on families. Practices intervention strategies as appropriate.
- Applies knowledge of parent-child interactions, child development and the dynamics of child abuse and neglect to teach positive parenting and child management techniques.
- Utilizes advanced strength-based, solution focused strategies in working with families.
- Appropriately establishes boundaries and sets limits in relationships with families.
- Supporting and encouraging self-reliance parents through making appointments for doctors, social service agencies, etc. Acts as a liaison between families and other community agencies. Teaches families these skills.
- Using the Family Outcome Star assessment tool, conducts in depth family assessments, develops unique family directed goals and supports the family to achieve their goals.
- Meets with supervisor on a regular basis.
- Attends team meetings and trainings as requested or recommended by supervisor.
- Maintains a strong knowledge and understanding of community resources and uses these appropriately to meet the needs of the family.
- Completes case notes that document home visits observations and activities in a complete, concise, and timely manner as required (within 48 hours of a home visit or client contact)
- A willingness and comfort level in working with diverse families and those from a wide variety of cultures.
- Using the ASQ and ASQ-SE assessment tools regularly completes developmental assessments with parents and makes recommendations to services, provides strategies to further support child development and implements recommendations using the Hand in Hand model.
- Completes accurate and timely data entry into ETO Database.
- Completes a nominal role at the end of each month.
- Works within the framework of Nurturing Parenting when providing support and interventions to families.
- Minimum Diploma in Human Services Field.
- Minimum three years of experience working with vulnerable families.
- Maturity and experience in successfully working with infants, young children and parents.
- Experience working in the community.
- Valid driver’s license and use of personal vehicle.
- Solid understanding of healthy child development.
- Valid standard first aid certificate
- Current Police Clearance and Child Intervention Record checks with satisfactory results.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours to meet the needs of a family.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates skills in supporting families, reducing family stress, and teaching positive parent-child interaction skills.
- Demonstrates knowledge of family dynamics, child development, family problems and stresses of parenting, substance abuse, and domestic violence.
- Knowledge of, and belief in, non-violent approach to disciplining children.
- Able to work from a strength based approach to supporting families.
- Ability to work as part of team and independently.
- Skill in crisis intervention, teaching, listening and basic problem solving.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and professional boundaries
Application Deadline: Until successful candidate is recruited. We appreciate the interest of all applicants however will only contact those invited for an interview.
Please send a cover letter and resume by email quoting Competition #CNFC-to firstname.lastname@example.org