Director of Information Technology
Do you have a bachelor's degree in computer science or an acceptable combination of education and relevant experience?
Would you like to work in a positive, supportive educational atmosphere?
Are you a great communicator who can function effectively in a multi-disciplinary team? If so, read on!
About the organization:
The Maskwacis Education Schools Commission (MESC) is a school authority in Maskwacis, Alberta.
Its 11 schools serve approximately 2600 students from Ermineskin Cree Nation, Louis Bull Tribe,
Montana First Nation and Samson Cree Nation.
With a focus on Cree language and culture, MESC schools offer a strong balance between local
Nehiyaw (Cree) core values according to the Maskwacis Declaration on Education and provincial
academics as outlined in Alberta Education Programs of Study MESC seeks to promote improved
Cree, literacy, and numeracy achievement results; retain excellent teachers and support staff; and
improve accountability and transparency to parents, community, and Chiefs and Councils.
About the position:
The Director of Information Technology (IT) is responsible for the effective planning, organization and
operation of information technology (IT) services and support across MESC. This position entails
overseeing IT project coordination, resource management, supervision of IT staff, as well as
communication with the management team, business unit leaders, and end-users. The Director of IT
is also responsible for IT strategic and tactical planning, as well as identifying, selecting, and
deploying the appropriate technology resources that will support organizational goals and objectives.
Primary responsibilities of this position include, but not limited to, ensuring MESC IT needs are met,
guiding IT projects to successful completion, and directing and prioritizing the workload of
As a leader in the organization, the Director of IT will model the intent of the Maskwacis Declaration
on Education and the core values of; Wahkotowin, Iyiniw Mamotohnehickikan, Nehiyaw Pimatisiwin,
and Nehiyawewin. This is evident by:
● Ensuring that decisions are made to the ultimate benefit of Maskwacis students.
● Assisting the Superintendent and the Board to ensure that all students benefits from their
treaty right to quality education.
● Respecting Cree language, spirituality and traditions within the Education Authority.
Maskwacis Education Schools Commission
Director of Information Technology
● Providing Maskwacis leadership (the Cree way) in all matters relating to education in the
Maskwacis Schools - consensus-building, creating a dialogue with stakeholders, empowering
leadership in the system.
● Bachelor's degree in computer science or an acceptable combination of education and
relevant experience required.
● Minimum five (5) years of direct work experience in an IT management capacity required.
● Advanced overall knowledge of networking, operating systems, and server architectures.
● Experience with Microsoft Office, PowerSchool, and some of the following, Dossier, Atrieve
and other applications will be considered an asset.
● Knowledge of Cree language and/or culture will be an asset.
Salary range: between $94,530 - $134,157
How to apply: If the information above describes you, the career you would like to have, and the type of organization you would like to work for, please apply online at MESC Careers (www.maskwacised.ca/careers).
This position will remain open until filled.