DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS - Full-time Permanent Position
The Director of Operations is directly responsible for the overall efficient and effective administrative and financial management of the Serpent River First Nation Administration, its program areas and services, and for keeping Chief and Council current and up-to-date on all matters related to the business of the First Nation in a timely and professional manner, to implement the Organizational Review Recommendations and all other goals and objectives considered by Chief and Council.
- Communicate effectively with community members, Chief and Council, Council Committees and Boards, staff, funding agencies, First Nation Organizations and others as required in a timely responsible and professional manner.
- Be familiar with the Indian Act, Treaties and Treaty Rights applicable to the First Nation, Native Law, Statues and Regulations, Canada Labour Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Native Organizations and Government structure, and other laws, systems and processes applicable in conducting the business of the First Nation.
- Responsible for the Serpent River First Nation’s community and governance development plans and activities.
- Oversee and direct the administration of the program areas and services of the First Nation, maintaining direct contact, verbal and written with the Chief and Council on all matters concerning the Serpent First Nation’s business.
- Responsible for the Serpent River Nation’s community and governance development plans and activities for ensuring the Vision and Strategic Plan approved by Council are implemented in an efficient and effective manner and that the Senior Management Team and staff are current and up to date on the Direction of Council and carry out the appropriate elements of the Vision and Strategic Plan as designated and assigned.
- Ensure Council directives/motions, and BCR’s are followed up in a timely, efficient and professional manner.
- Oversee the preparation of Council agendas – regular and special meetings; ensuring Chief and Council, Program Directors and staff to remain and up-to-date on community-related issues, services, and programs to effectively carry out their responsibilities in an efficient, effective, professional and timely manner, and the community members are informed of matters that may affect them.
- Liaise with other First Nations, program agencies, and related organizations/institutions to network effectively for the benefit of the Serpent River First Nation, Chief and Council, and the community.
- Minimum Business Management/Administration Masters/Honors degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience in a similar or related field with a proven demonstration of skills.
- Professional affiliations in Business, Law, Finance, or other related fields are desirable.
Qualifications and Skills/Experience
- Must have skills and capacity to take initiative and multi-task
- Report/proposal development skills are an asset
- Knowledge and understanding of the community and culture is essential
- Excellent computer skills are an asset
- Must possess a valid Driver’s Licence and dependable vehicle
- Excellent and proficient financial skills essential
- Excellent Human Relations/Public Relations skills essential
- Excellent Management/Administration skills essential
- Excellent Conflict Management skills essential
- Excellent negotiation and mediation skills are essential
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills are essential
- Must have a proficient level of communication skills, verbal and written
- Must possess excellent organizational and time-management skills
Interested applicants are to submit a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references to:
195 Village Road
Deadline to submit an application is Friday, September 25, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
Late applications will not be accepted
Preference will be given to Indigenous applicants. Self Identification is encouraged
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Detailed job description is available upon request
Applicants must be able to participate in an online interview through ZOOM